A while back I said that I would provide a detailed list of objectives that I have planned for this year and beyond. Some of these will be difficult to implement this year due to budget constraints but I’m going to try! My next post will outline my vision for the Union. Be well and be good to each other.
1. Communication – Objective – to provide clear details of the ever changing landscape of our competition. To provide direct communication opportunities for clubs. To provide an avenue for clubs to promote events, clinics, and tournaments through the Capital GU.
a. The President’s email – This is one aspect of communication that I will be executing. This list is exclusively for you, the Club Presidents. You can email or call me directly to discuss issues, direction, and vision at any time. As club presidents, you are (presumably) the most engaged rugby person on the club. You know what you want and need to be successful. I want to assist in making that happen. (I HAVE ALREADY SENT ONE OF THESE. IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE MY MESSAGE YESTERDAY, YOU ARE NOT ON MY LIST)
b. Facebook – Many of us are on Facebook and I’ve found it pretty useful disseminating information. I would encourage everyone to join the group
c. Email, website, executive committee email
d. Items B and C are available for any member club to utilize.
2. Relationships – objectives – To work closely with MAC Rugby to ensure our member clubs have a competition that is fair and balanced. To work with the Eastern Penn GU to capitalize on shared goals and to cross check club compliance. To work with USA Rugby to create clear messages to your clubs so as to minimize confusion.
a. The Capital GU should be responsible for minimizing the burden to our member clubs when it comes to administrative directives and other admin related items. I believe the Capital GU should be the admin and you should be the rugby. We (the Executive Committee) will work to clarify directives and admin procedures so that when you receive it from us you know it has been vetted and discussed. When appropriate, the EC will request you input. If you want more input, please join the EC at the next AGM.
3. All-Star Programs – objectives – to create 15s and 7s all-star programs for men and women. To fully fund the all-star programs to include player kit, travel, coaches, and training. To enter international competitions (like the tournament the South all-stars enter, Cape Fear 7s, NY 7s, Las Vegas Invitational, Aspen Ruggerfest, Saranac, a home/away with Toronto/Canada select).
a. While USA Rugby has seen the All-Star competitions not necessary, I believe the only way our best players are going to grow and get seen for national team selection is to play the highest level possible.
b. We should identify talent and make sure the right coaches are providing training.
c. We should identify coaches and give them the opportunity to coach high level rugby.
d. We should do this for both men and women.
e. We should populate this team from all levels of our competitions – WPL, D1-D4.
4. Coaching and Referee Development – objective – to host a coaching Level 200 and 300 and level one referee clinic annually. To retain 20% from those training sessions
a. We’ve got to develop these aspects of our game.
b. The goal is to provide these at NO COST to our member clubs to include hotel, food and beverage, one social, and training materials.
5. Create a live stream “Game of the Week” – objective – to produce a game of the week to be live streamed online. To produce a live stream of our championships. To sell advertising and turn a profit on our events.
a. This is not being done very well around the country and I believe there’s a profitable market for this type of media
b. We could gain national exposure and sell advertising to cover costs
6. To become a member of a national sports convention – objective – to get cities to bid on our championship events so that we minimize our expenses and find proper complexes/surfaces to play our most important matches.
So, there you have it. That is what I will be doing in the next 12 months to grow and develop rugby in the Capital Geographic Union. I am committed to working with our member clubs and I want this to be the best run Union in the country. With your help, we can make that happen. I can’t really grow and develop anything without engaged people around me. Without your feedback, we will become stagnant. I can press and push but I will need your support. From time to time I may even call or email you directly to ask your thoughts. Please do not sugar coat. Tell us where/when we’re doing something wrong or well. I am lucky to have your support up to this point through this transition. I look forward to working with each of you throughout the year.